It Is An Ill Wind That Blow’s China’s Nuclear Industry No Good

CHINA’S STATE-OWNED heavy engineering firms are getting a liking for European renewables. China General Nuclear (CGN) Corp. has beaten out several rivals to acquire a controlling stake in three U.K. wind farms being sold by the French utility EDF.

This follows China Three Gorges Corporation acquisition of wind-generation capacity in Spain and Portugal to add to that it has in Pakistan. The State Administration of Foreign Exchange (SAFE), which also supervises CGN, owns 49% of the portfolio of wind assets belonging to the Norwegian state owned electricity company, Statkraft. This stake is held through SAFE’s U.K. investment arm, Ginko Tree Investment.

CGN, which generates more than half of China’s nuclear energy and was known as the China Guangdong Nuclear Power Group until last year, paid an estimated $157 million for 80% of the three wind farms. EDF will retain the remaining 20% and continue to operate the facilities.

The three farms, all in eastern or north eastern England, are CGN’s first significant acquisition of onshore wind generating capacity outside China. It has a small interest in an Australian wind farm but set up a subsidiary earlier this year to acquire off- and onshore wind farms and solar projects in Europe. The U.K. government runs a subsidy scheme that requires energy utilities to buy a certain amount of electricity generated by renewables, which makes U.K. projects an attractive investment.

The generating capacity that CGN will be acquiring is relatively modest at 72 megawatts, sufficient to serve only 40,000 homes. By way of comparison, the group has installed generating capacity of some 7 gigawatts of solar, hydro and wind power in China plus 11.6 gigawatts of nuclear power.

Not that China’s nuclear companies are turning their back on nuclear despite industry’s post-Fukushima hiatus. CGN has another 3.9 gigawatts of capacity under construction in China and is involved in the negotiations over Hinkley Point C, a new $40 billion nuclear power plant EDF is planning to build in the west of England. That would be the first nuclear power plant built in Britain in a generation. CGN and China National Nuclear Corporation also want to build another nuclear plant in eastern England that would controversially use a Chinese built reactor.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under China-E.U., Energy

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s