China National Petroleum Corp. has confirmed that its facilities in Libya have come under attack. CNPC says that it has repatriated a first group of 24 its 391 Chinese staff across its five facilities in the country. CNPC did not give details of the attacks, which are among many being reported on Chinese owned business operations in the country. As of Thursday, the company says, 47 of its staff have been evacuated.
CNPC has been working in Libya since 2002 when it won a pipeline construction contract to take oil and natural gas from a desert field 1,000 kilometers inland to the coastal terminal at Mellitah. In 2005, the company signed an offshore exploration contract with Libya’s National Oil Corporation. It also provides oilfield services and engineering and construction services to other multinational oil companies working in Libya. It is not, however, an oil producer there. (Sinopec buys 6 million barrels of crude a month from Libya, the backbone of the $6.6 billion a year in two-way trade between the countries.)
In all, Xinhua says, China has so far evacuated 4,600 of its 30,000 nationals working in Libya, mostly in energy and construction. The operation is being said to be the country’s largest overseas civilian evacuation and is being seen as a test of the competence of the government to protect its citizens abroad, tens of thousands of whom now work in politically volatile countries around the world.