Sichuan Earthquake Survivors Still Vulnerable As Winter Approaches

This week marks the six months anniversary, if that is the right word,  of the May 12 Sichuan earthquake that killed more than 80,000 people. Fifteen million survivors in Sichuan, Gansu and Shaanxi were displaced. The Red Cross reminds us that many of them remain in temporary reed matting shelters which will be inadequate with the onset of winter, especially in the mountains. The Red Cross says that while “the rapid response of the government in rebuilding homes is clearly visible,”…”full recovery is expected to take a further two and a half years, including reconstruction of tens of thousands of homes, as well as schools and health clinics.” It says will make emergency cash grants to the most vulnerable, particularly the elderly  to help get them through the winter, and continue to distribute supplies such as quilts, medicine and food.

Meanwhile, a 6.5 magnitude earthquake was reported today to have struck Qinghai province in the north west 160 kilometers north of Goimud, the industrial city that is the railhead for Tibet. Some homes were destroyed, but no reports of casualties so far, according to official reports. The U.S. Geological Survey has maps.

Reliefweb has a map of the 6.4. magnitude quake that struck north west of Lhasa on October 6, killing 30 people. Snapshot below:

Oct. 6 2008 Damxung County Earthquake

Oct. 6 2008 Damxung County Earthquake

1 Comment

Filed under Politics & Society, Sichuan earthquake

One response to “Sichuan Earthquake Survivors Still Vulnerable As Winter Approaches

  1. jaja

    hahahahhahah u guys died ya lame

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s